VolunteerBecome a centurion volunteer
We love our volunteers, the runners love our volunteers and our volunteers love volunteering! The ultra running community and these type of races, survive only due to the help and support of volunteers, they truly are the lifeblood of the sport we all love.
With the kind of races we organise ie. marked and fully supported, we need a lot of help to get things running smoothly. A typical compliment will be 50 - 90 volunteers per race. If you want to help out we would love to hear from you.
What do you get in return for volunteering?
- Centurion Crew Shirt.
- For those dedicating over 8 hours to a 100 mile event or 6 hours to a 50 mile event: Free entry to the race you have volunteered at, for the following year. (Volunteers must meet the minimum qualification standard in order for their place to be accepted).
- Food and drink for the duration of your stint.
- An overwhelming feeling of reciprocated positive energy from grateful runners.
Typical Volunteer Duties
Course Marking - All of the Centurion courses are marked to minimise chances of runners getting lost. To mark a 100 mile course requires 30 - 40 hours spread across a dedicated group of runners or walkers in the 24hrs leading up to and during the race.
Course Sweepers - The course is swept during the race, with sweepers following the last runners in and clearing all markings/ trash as they go. This is a great way of experiencing the race route and witnessing the incredible strength of those at the back of the pack.
Aid Station Crewing - Each Centurion course has a minimum of 7-16 full stocked aid stations. Aid Station Crews are under the management of an aid station captain, but it is important for us to have a minimum of 4 people at each aid station at any one time. Duties include constructing the temporary shelter, helping runners refill bottles, laying out the different food types for runners to help themselves to, recording numbers and uploading them live to the website and most importantly providing enthusiasm and encouragement in bundles for runners that are tired, in pain and in need of some TLC!!!
Our volunteers come from four main categories
- Fit and Healthy runners prepping for a race who want to use marking or sweeping the course as an opportunity to be part of the race and get miles in.
- Runners wanting to give something back to the ultra running community, having relied on volunteers for many years.
- Injured runners who are investing their energies in a different way
- Friends and Family of participating runners.
Ever got to the end of a marathon or ultra and said 'thank god for that volunteer back there who handed me that coke/ helped me fill my water bottles/ ran with me for that section/ told me about the upcoming hill and to take it easy/ called my family and told them what time I'd be at the next aid station/ made me a ham and cheese sandwich/ put the ice in my hat' etc etc etc. Well, we have, and if you are one of those people then consider this as an opportunity to 'pay it forward' but get something else in return.
We promise that you will enjoy your experience in whatever shape or form over race weekend.
You can register to volunteer to help at any of the 2015 Centurion Events by clicking on the button below:Become a centurion volunteer
2016 SDW100 Preview
Incredibly deep fields in both the mens and womens races make this one of the most…
3 weeks ago
The North Downs Way 50 is now in it's sixth year. This event above any other remains…
1 month, 2 weeks ago
A relatively short preview this time, as the depth in the field looks to point to…
2 months, 1 week ago